A quarter of a century. That sort of sounds like a long time. But for those of us on the plus side of 50, we know that it is the blink of an eye. 25 years ago today my daughter made her first appearance into this world. And the world has been a better place ever since then. Especially my world! I cannot even begin to tell you how wonderful my daughter is and how blessed I am to be her dad. She is an absolute joy. A treasure to my heart! A few things you may not know about her:
- When she was just a few months old she got dropped on her head and was concussed. Scared her mom and dad a bunch.
- At some point in her younger years she was into horses, The Backstreet Boys, beanie babies, and soccer.
- She and I were involved with the YMCA program called Indian Princess’ for 3 years, Her name was Little Rainbow and I was Swift Buffalo.
- She was a cheerleader for one year – the 7th grade.
- She can quote every episode of ‘Friends’ by heart.
- Her husband is the only man she has kissed.
- She has taught 2nd grade for 3 years and been recognized as Teacher of the Year.
- She went to Appalachian State and led the football team to 3 national championships while she was there.
- She has always loved missions and has taken short term trips to Bolivia, Peru, Jamaica, Haiti, Botswana, China, India, Alaska, and Slovakia.
- She and her husband leave for India in June. They will be there for 14 months working with our IMB partners – doing training with Indian believers and discipling teams that are working there.
I have been asked if it bothers me that she will be so far away from us and the answer is an easy one. This is what we raised her to do. This is what she loves. She and Chad eagerly anticipate serving the Lord oversees for a year+ and then seeing where the Lord directs them. With Skype and e-mail it just won’t be that hard to stay connected. And I figure it gives us a place to go where we can visit them. Yes we will miss them but we are excited for them at the same time.
So Christy, just want to say Happy 25th Birthday. It has been a thrill to be your dad and a pleasure to watch you grow into a delightful, joy-filled, God-fearing, missions-loving young woman. I am very proud of you and look forward to watching your God-story unfold in the years to come. I love you!
So here are a few pictures of a dad and his daughter through the years.
9 thoughts on “A Dad and His Daughter”
What a sweet “tribute” to a delightful daughter! Sniffle, sniffle.
She would agree that she has some terrific parents, too. Thanks for sharing, and Happy Birthday!
This is precious. Happy Birthday to Christy!!! You too, Shay and Linda, are model parents of a Godly family. Thanks for sharing!
what a sweet post! thanks for being the best Dad I could possibly have. I love you!
That first picture….I think that sofa is in your garage!
So sweet! I loved this post. I knew she was a treasure…..but I didn’t know about her football skills.
I just have to say…i LOVE this whole Little Rainbow and Swift Buffalo thing! I never knew there was such a thing!
Just totally lost it! This is beautiful and so true. But I do believe God also likes local missions like those unchurched in Durham or even Winston..yeah, Winston could be foreign missions!
Thought of you at different moments of the day with the intention to call OF COURSE, but like every day, here it is the next one and we didn’t. Your Dad said it all and we share in his love and pride in you. Happy next day birthday.
Chuck and Bett
Oh my goodness, I totally remember Indian Princess. My name was Running Deer and my dad was Moon Dog 🙂
I am also really happy that your daughter made an appearance 25 yrs ago 🙂 Thanks for making one of my best friends 😉 Love Her!!