Pondering Ephesians 5:1-14
And then the corollary goes like this: How we behave REVEALS what we really believe!
This essentially is what Ephesians is about. The first 3 chapters provide a theological framework upon which to base the way that we are to live our lives. But then, even in chapters 4-6 Paul discusses why we should act the way that we do.
- Why should we speak truthfully with one another? Because we are all members of one body. (4:25)
- Why should not let the sun go down on our anger? Because we don’t want to give the devil a foothold in our lives. (4:26)
- Why should we not steal? Because we are to be generous givers who have worked for what we have. (4:28)
- Why should we be careful about what we say , especially to others? Because we do not want to grieve the Holy Spirit. (4:29-30)
- Why should we forgive others? Because we have been so greatly forgiven. (4:32)
- Why should we live a live of love? Because Christ has loves us and gave Himself up for us. (5:1-2)
- What should we avoid sexual immorality? Because we are God’s holy people. (5:3)
- What should we avoid any type of idolatry? Because we know God’s wrath will deal severely with idolators. (5:5-7)
- Why should we have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness? Because God will expose everything by His light. (5:8-12)
This is what Paul is saying to the Ephesians… and to us: Know what you believe an then behave in a way that is consistent with what you believe.