The Sermon on the Mount is one of the great sections of the New Testament. It records what Jesus has to say about a lot of different things. Some things that Jesus said I really like. Others things , not so much. For instance…
Things I’m Glad Jesus Said
- 5:4 – Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted.
- 5:6 – Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth.
- 5:13/14 – You are the salt of the earth… You are the light of the world.
- 6:6 – When you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
- 7:7 – Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find.
Things I Wish Jesus Had Not Said
- 5:11 – Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you.
- 5:29 – If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away.
- 5:39 – If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.
- 5:44 – Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.
- 6:15 – If you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive you.
- 6:19 – Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth.
- 7:14 – But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
You will note that I like the things Jesus said that have to do with me being blessed and getting rewarded. And I don’t like things He said that put limits on my selfishness. Like most people, I like to think that it is all about me, what God can do for me, what others can do for me. But that’s not the point of the sermon. And that’s not the point of Jesus.
Because in fact, it is all about Him! And the sooner I understand this and take to heart the message of this message the better off I will be. Which is really what I want anyway.