Pondering the Word – 1 Corinthians 15:1 and 58
Verse 1: Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand.
Verse 58: Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
As I pondered these verses I started thinking about some of the things about God and Scripture that I consider really good news (gospel). These are all reasons why I am willing to take my stand on the gospel and give myself to the work of the Lord – knowing that it is not in vain. I will list them without a lot of commentary – each one is worth thinking deeply about.
- God is Sovereign – He is in control even when things seem like they are out of control.
- We were created on purpose and for a purpose.
- Absolutely nothing can separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus.
- There will indeed one day be a reckoning.
- Heaven is real and one day those who believe will find everlasting joy in the presence of God.
- God has promised to be with us as we walk through the difficult days of this life.
- God is at work to redeem our suffering.
- The Bible is the inerrant Word of God and is God’s primary way of nourishing and feeding our souls.
- Grace is indeed amazing and abundant and free. There is nothing I need to do to secure favor from God.
- In the midst of chaos and craziness there is a peace that surpasses all understanding that cannot be explained to unbelievers.