9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
11 Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul. 12 Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation.
The implications of what the Lord has done for us are staggering. Here is a rehearsal of what Peter says that God has done and a few things to ponder…
- He brought us out of darkness: Remind yourself what it was like prior to coming to faith in Christ.
- He brought us into the light: What difference has Jesus made in your life?
- He chose us – Just let that sink in. He chose YOU when you were not the pick of the litter.
- He made you royalty – You are a child of the King of Kings
- He has called you to be a priest – As a priest, how will you bless the people you come in contact with today?
- He has made you holy – ALL those sins that have separated you from God – He remembers no more.
- You belong to Him as a treasured possession – He lovingly looks at you and says. “You are MINE.”
- He has given you a faith family to be a part of – the people of God.
- He has lavished His mercies upon you – even when you did not deserve them.
- He has commissioned you as a sojourner – never forget that this world is NOT your home.
- He has enlisted you as a soldier of the cross – never forget that you are in a war.
And WHY has He done all these things? So that you might proclaim His excellencies (v.9) and so that you might bring honor and glory to His great Name. (v.12)
May this brick be a reminder of who you are, whose you are, and all that the Lord has done for you.